Friday, January 28, 2011

Couch to 5K


Life has been pretty uneventful lately. That is usually how the 1st of the year seems to always be. Our life was so busy with football season, holidays and then throw in an unexpected trip in January for the AU/Oregon BSC game; I'll admit it has been nice to slow down a bit. I LOVE staying busy and being on the go, but then can find it hard when there isn’t much to do. We have been in town the last few weekends and it has been wonderful- PEACEFUL & RELAXING- just what we needed. It has been nice to get back in the groove of things and spending time with friends we missed during the hectic holidays.

I’m writing all of this to tell you I had to find at least ONE thing to occupy my time….COUCH to 5K!!! I enjoy having a hobby or activity to keep me focused and occupied. In Montgomery it was tennis. Unfortunately, tennis doesn’t seem to be a big pastime here and I can’t make myself drive to Jackson or Starkville just to play in a league….I thought about it, but it is NOT worth the drive. So myself and a few other girls are training to do a 5K. Although I love activity, I’ve never been a runner and never wanted to be. It seems like everyone I know has ran a 5K, heck, even a 10K!! I guess the competiveness has come out in me b/c I decided if they can, so can I!!!!

I’m now ending week 4 of the 9 week program. So far…so good!! My goal is to do a 5K the weekend of March 19th. As of today, I can’t imagine doing it, but I know I will get there. Many of my friends that are runners have encouraged me and were once at the same spot that I’m in now. They said it is amazing how far you come in 9 weeks. The program seems to work for everyone I’ve talked to. I’m finding it a little addictive and I’m eager each week to see how far I can push myself. Not only do I feel better, but it is making want to eat better, and hopefully the weight loss will be an extra BONUS!

So I’m about to say it…..you can expect a blog post end of March that I have completed a 5K. I’m putting this in writing to make me do a 5K…I can’t go back on my word (ha). A big thanks to Whitney & Rachel for encouraging and running w/ me :) So for now, my tennis racquet has been traded in for running shoes!!
Try this program....you'll be surprised what you can do!!

2 comments:

  1. Wooo Hooo! Go you! I'm so glad we are all doing this together because otherwise I'd still be on the couch!
    PS - I love the little cartoon lady at the top of your post. She looks like she's happy and skinny and being that she's running a 5K in high heels makes her all the more awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The program definitely does work well. I used it to get back into running before training for a 1/2. You will end up hooked bc race days are so much fun. Good Luck! Can't wait to see pics of you crossing the finish line :)

    ReplyDelete