Thursday, January 6, 2011

January 10th is almost here!!


This post is for my AU friends and family!! I don't have to tell you what is happening on January 10th. It is a game that we have been waiting & dreaming of for years. In my short 29 years as an Auburn fan we've had some down years, but I've been able to experience a lot of awesome memories....4 Sugar Bowls (been to all/ probably didn't appreciate them as I should have, just being a child in the 80s), 2 undefeated seasons, 3 SEC games in Atlanta and 6 wins in a row over Bama just to name a few. Those memories are grand, but none will compare to the experience we're about to have in Glendale.

Auburn football has been such a HUGE part of mine, my parents, many dear friends and now my husband's life. I almost tear up thinking of all the memories-college days at Auburn, band parties & socials in the fall were the best!! bowls games with family, bowl games w/ my college friends, road games or just being a child & running wild on the upper deck ramp and meeting up with friends for funnel cakes (remember Katie how we made ourselves sick off of those and fudge from Sweet Auburn). I could really write an entire book on all my AU memories.

With all this being said, I can't believe AU is playing for a national title on Monday and I will be there!! I'm thankful that my parents (especially my dad) who instilled a love of AU in me and allowed me to have all those wonderful memories. And to all my AU friends & family...I can't wait to share Monday with you. So I'm going to quit rambling on and being emotional. My main intention of this post was to share an email with you that my dear AU friend, Anna Owen sent me. It was too good not to share with you. Hope you enjoy!!

Win it For . . .
Win it for Bo Jackson--who has been so amazing in his support this season--and the rest of the 1983 team, who should have moved up from No. 3 to No. 1 when No. 1 Nebraska and No. 2 Texas lost, only to be passed over for a Miami team who beat a supposedly "unbeatable" media-darling team;

Win it for Stan White, who led his Tigers to 10 victories; for Patrick Nix, who came in for an injured White on 4th down against Alabama and threw the most improbable of all improbable touchdown passes; and for the rest of the 1993 team, who vanquished all opponents and were the only undefeated team in the country, but would not be voted No. 1 because the press decided that season that teams on probation were not supposed to be voted No. 1--even though teams on probation before and since then have been;

Win it for Jason Campbell, Cadillac Williams, Ronnie Brown, and the rest of the 2004 team, who won every game but were denied the title game based on style points, who watched as Oklahoma was crushed and shown not to belong in the game, and who learned later that USC was using ineligible players.

Win it for all the people who were ever told they didn't deserve the success they'd earned, who ever heard they had not lived up to a subjective standard, that there was something wrong with the system, that they didn't belong and should know their place, but who persevered anyway;

But most of all, win it for yourselves. Such moments as these are rare and fleeting, so make the most of it: soak it in, have some fun, and kick some butt.
http://auburnwinitfo...win-it-for.html/ <http://auburnwinitfor.blogspot.com/2010/12/win-it-for.html>

Will Collier launches one of the better responses...QuoteBecause of my immense respect for previous Auburn teams that found themselves, through no fault of their own, on the wrong side of "national championship" popularity contests, I'm hesitant to put this--entirely wonderful--current team on a pedestal by itself. That understood, it's still more than appropriate for us to remember our heritage, on and off the field, as we prepare for this last step towards another undefeated season.

So win it, Tigers. Win it for Shug Jordan and Pat Dye and (yes) Terry Bowden and Tommy Tuberville, too. Win it for every coach who spent those endless hours away from their families so that you and your predecessors and the ones who will come after you could have opportunities like this. They laid the foundations that you stand on today.

Win it for Jimmy Sidle and Terry Beasley and Lionel James and Dennis Collier and Carlo Cheattom and Dowe Aughtman and James Bostic and Walter Tate and Mike Pelton and Thomas Bailey and Dameyune Craig and Courtney Taylor and Travis Williams and Brandon Cox and Ben Tate. Win it for every guy who wore that blue jersey and laid his guts on the line, again and again and again.

Win it for the ones who aren't with us today. Win it for Virgil Starks and John Thrower and Dean Foy, all lost on the cusp of this magical season. Win it for Greg Pratt and Ronnie Ross and Erk Russell and Connie Frederick. Win it for every spirit who stands on that sideline beside you.

Go win it, Auburn. Win it for all of them, and win it for yourselves. You have fought the fight and paid the price, and now it is your time to claim your place among the legends.
Go win it all.

War Eagle!!!!!!!!!!! HEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!



1 comment:

  1. looking for an SEC win! I hope you and Jason have a blast. Remember Cher pictures :)

    ReplyDelete